Reminiscing and recording…
The Tolt Historical Society has, since its formation in 1982, built a museum collection of vintage photographs, artifacts and memorabilia representing the 100+ year history of the town of Tolt/Carnation. The Collection is currently housed at the Tolt-Carnation Historical Museum at Carnation Farm located north of Carnation on the Carnation Farm Road. The museum is the Historical Society’s major accomplishment with a current inventory of over 1000 items.
The Society is an all volunteer organization whose operation depends on contributions and funding from State and Federal Heritage Agencies. Tours of the museum are available for interested individuals and organizations on request.
For more information contact email@example.com or mail to PO Box 226, Carnation, WA 98014
The Tolt Historical Society preserves and interprets the history of the Carnation, Washington area and fosters education and appreciation of its history.
For perhaps 10,000 years the Tolt River country was known by the Snoqualmie Indians by the name Tolthue, which means river of swift waters. When the white man came to the lower valley, the name was shortened to Tolt.
Chief Patkanim was head signer of the Point Elliott Treaty of 1855, which ceded Snoqualmie Indian land to the United States in exchange for a reservation, which was granted in 2000.
The first record of Tolt appeared on the Survey General’s Map of Washington Territory in 1857 as “Tolthue River.”
The land that was to become Tolt was previously the location of the administrative center of the Snoqualmie Indians. The cedar plank houses comprising the village at the Carnation site were constructed on the west bank of the Snoqualmie River where it meets the Tolt River.