Tolt_Main_Street_1912_caIn the early days of settlement the Snoqualmie River served Tolt’s major transportation needs.

Land travel in King County’s dense forested terrain remained difficult and slow for a long time. The few roads built by settlers followed the contours of the land, hugged the ridges, had a very steep grade and wound around big trees, rather than moving them. The early roads, built by settlers, were often constructed as puncheon roads. These were slabs of cedar like railroad ties layed across long poles stuck into the mud. Frequently these roads were too muddy to use.

By 1872 the roads had improved enough that mail could be delivered by horseback from Fall City. Often the weekly trip was delayed by fallen trees and flood waters.

Three hundred feet of concrete sidewalks were poured on both sides of Tolt Avenue in 1914 from Entwistle Street to Bagwell Street.

The Tolt-Duvall Road became part of the state road system in 1915.


Next Story >> Railroads